Saturday, October 4, 2008

Wild nights are my glory

Image credit Striking Photography by Bo Insogna on Flickr
Ahem. I wasn't referring to *those* wild nights (although, as a very happily married woman, I consider them glorious, too. But that is another post). The quote, of course, is from one of my favorite authors, Madeleine L'Engle.

One of my favorite things about where we live is the beauty and ferocity of our thunderstorms. Even as a child, I delighted in dark and stormy nights. Carlos and our children share my love of thunder and lightening and fierce gusts of wind and rain. It releases a wild joy and exhilaration inside of me that nothing else quite matches.
Image credit Bev Knits on Flickr
Last night we got a very nice little storm. It brought to mind numerous quotes from another of my favorite writers and lyricists, King David.

"You called in trouble, and I rescued you; I answered you in the hiding place of thunder."--Psalm 81:7. What or where, exactly is the hiding place of thunder? As Anne would say, there is so much scope for imagination in that phrase!

"Clouds and thick darkness surround Him; Righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne...His lightnings lit up the world..."--Psalm 97:2, 4.
Image credit whosdadog on Flickr
 "Sing to God, sing praise to His name, extol Him who rides upon the clouds...the earth shook , the heavens poured down rain before God...You gave abundant showers, oh God; You refreshed your weary inheritance."--Psalm 68:4, 8-9.

"The voice of the Lord is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the Lord thunders over the mighty waters. ... The voice of the Lord strikes with flashes of lightning...and in His temple, all cry, 'Glory!'"--Psalm 29:3, 7, 9.
Image credit Striking Photography by Bo Insogna
The storm was over early this morning, and by early afternoon, the sun was out. Inside, though, my spirit is still moving in a rain dance, ready to exult with all creation as we listen to God's voice in the storm.

1 comment:

Blessed Mama said...

Yes, very alluring title. :)