Thursday, April 9, 2009

Failed allergy test

I am bummed. We took Ariana in today for skin testing for olives and green beans, and she failed both. We didn't have the follow-up with her allergist yet, and the nurse doesn't give diagnoses, but I could see the reaction myself enough to know that she should continue to avoid them.

I really couldn't care less if she never eats another green bean, and she won't shed any tears, either. I hate olives, myself, but I was really hoping that she could have olive oil. Soybean oil and corn oil are so processed that they rarely cause allergic reactions, even in people who can't have soy or corn. Olive oil can be that way, but extra virgin or virgin olive oils can still cause reactions. Actually, the last time that she had veggies in EVOO, she broke out in hives.

We've successfully avoided them for two years now, but from what I've heard, Puerto Rico uses lots of EVOO in cooking, and almost anything that is fried or that has sofrito can have it. Since we'll be eating in restaurants there for a couple of weeks this summer, it is going to be a little nerve wracking to avoid it. Sigh.

My sweetie was so cooperative with the testing today, even though she hates itching. She was obviously uncomfortable, but she refrained from scratching and didn't complain much at all. Of course, she still has to avoid eggs, and Joelito is avoiding corn. On the bright side, however, we can have dairy and wheat again, after eliminating both for a year and a half, so I should focus on that. I'm indulging in some whining here, anyway, though.

2 comments:

Blessed Mama said...

Ugh. So sorry to hear that. I can imagine it's hard to avoid olive oil! I hope she grows out of that soon!

Theresa said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. The olives would be a big bummer. Seeing you thrive in the face of dealing with all your kids different allergies gives me strength to trudge on with Katie. Thank you, seriously, from the bottom of my heart.